Film Submission 2018
Rules and Regulations
20th annual One World International Human Rights Documentary Film Festival (“One World”) will take place March 5 – 14, 2018 in Prague, Czech Republic. One World is organized by People in Need, a Czech non-profit, non-governmental organization. Besides the main festival held in Prague, there is also One World in Regions, which travels to towns throughout the Czech Republic, One World in Brussels, and One World in Schools that uses films in elementary and high-school education and organizes school screenings and other outreach projects. One World has grown over the years to become the largest human rights film festival in the world. It is one of the leading cultural events in Prague and the Czech Republic.
Competitions and Awards
One World’s programme consists of three competition categories, a variety of non-competition thematic categories as well as Docs for Kids section. Films are judged by One World’s selection committee. When selecting films, the committee concentrates equally on both human rights content and artistic quality. Six main awards will be given to the winning films:
- International Competition Award
- Award for the Best Director in the International Competition
- The Václav Havel Jury Award for a film that makes an exceptional contribution to the defense of human rights
- Czech Competition Award
- Audience Award
- Student Jury Award.
Submitted films need to meet these criteria:
- feature or mid-length (minimum length 40 minutes) documentary films
- short documentary or animated films for children – films for Docs for Kids category only
- provided with English subtitles or English-spoken films
- films made in last 2 years (2016 - 2018)
- unfinished films can be submitted upon prior agreement with the festival
- First film submission deadline: September 15th, 2017.
- Final film submission deadline: November 15th, 2017 (for films finished between September and November 2017)
- Online Entry Form must be filled out till the submission deadline.
- Festival must be provided with the preview/screener of the film till the submission deadline.
- Festival accepts online links for previewing (instead of sending DVD). VIMEO (including an online link and a password) is a highly recommended online platform. The streaming of a film must be free of charge, the number of previewing must not be limited and the film must be available till the end of February, 2018.
- Festival also accepts DVD previews/screeners that are sent to the festival office till the submission deadline to this address: People in Need / One World, Safarikova 24, 120 00, Prague 2 , Czech Republic.
- Festival will retain preview copies in its archive for research and educational purposes.
- Participation in other festivals does not preclude participation in One World.
- Films may be submitted by the filmmakers, producers, distributors or other legal representatives of the film. The submitter of the film should be a person that has the legal right to negotiate the use of this work with One World.
- Festival will inform applicants of its decision by February 15, 2018 by email to the submitter.
- Due to rising numbers in submissions, the festival raises a submission fee to cover administrative costs.
- Submission fee: 10EUR (for both feature or mid-length docs and Docs for Kids)
- The fee will be waived for following countries of production (this condition does not apply to films coproduced with countries obliged to pay the fee)
- For each selected film, the submitter or the filmmaker will be asked to provide the English and original language dialogue list, stills from the film, a photo of the director, trailer and the screening copy/data file.
- For each selected film, One World has the right to use three minutes of the film for One World PR on television, on the internet and to use the publicity material (press kits, posters, stills etc.) to promote the festival´s programme.
- Each selected film will be asked to update film information before publishing at the festival webpage and in the festival catalogue.
For additional questions please contact the One World programme department:
Phone: +420 222 350 822